1. Letters of Inquiry
Organizations that meet the Foundation’s eligibility criteria submit Letter of Inquiry (for New Applicants) and Intent to Apply (for Current Grantees) forms outlining their funding requests via the Foundation’s online portal.
2. Staff Review and Application Invitations
Foundation staff reviews the submitted Letter of Inquiry and Intent to Apply forms. Approved organizations are invited to complete full applications.
3. Application Submission
Invited organizations submit applications, which provide more details about the request and the organization as a whole.
4. Staff Review
Staff completes a comprehensive evaluation of each proposal and organization. Evaluation typically includes an assessment of the application, as well as one or more site visits to meet organizational leadership and/or review performance activities.*
See the What We Fund page to learn more about our priorities during the evaluation process.
*Note for Current Grantees: The Foundation staff strives to send a minimum of one staff person to a performance-related activity, which could include workshops or rehearsals, per calendar year. Note that this visit may occur outside of the review period.
5. Recommendations and Board Approval
Working together, staff comes to a consensus on all grant recommendations, which are then reviewed by and voted on by the Board of Trustees.
6. Grant Notifications and Funding
Decision notifications are sent via email. Upon completion of the Foundation’s online grant contract, funded organizations receive their grant awards via standard mail.
In order to begin the submission process, New Applicants must first submit an online Letter of Inquiry (LOI), and Current Grantees must submit an online Intent to Apply (ITA). New Applicants are organizations that have not been awarded funding during or after calendar year 2015. Current Grantees are organizations that have been awarded funding during or after calendar year 2015. If your organization was awarded funding during or after calendar year 2015, and then subsequently declined for funding, it is considered a New Applicant. If you do not know if your organization is a New Applicant or a Current Grantee, please call Kimberleigh Costanzo, Grants Manager, at 212.408.0400 ext. 5.
For New Applicants:
- Please review our What We Fund page to determine your eligibility.
- If you do not yet have an account with us, please visit our online Application Manager and click “Create New Account.” After you fill out the required fields, you will receive a confirmation email with your login information. Click “I have received the email” and then hit the “Continue” button.
- Once you’ve arrived at the Application Page, you can start an LOI by clicking the link to your desired grant cycle for New Applicants. Please note that you will not be able to access the LOI until it is posted online (all dates are listed on our Dates & Deadlines page).
- After you fill out and submit your LOI, you will receive an immediate email confirmation. If you do not receive this confirmation, please contact Kimberleigh Costanzo at 212.408.0400 ext. 5.
- Your LOI will help us determine if your organization or project aligns with our mission and priorities. If your request appears to fall within our guidelines and priorities, we will send you further instructions on how complete a full application. If your request does not fit within our priorities or is not competitive, we will notify you by the decision dates listed on our Dates and Deadlines page.
For Current Grantees:
- Log in to your online account. If you are having trouble logging in or have forgotten your log in information, please call Kimberleigh Costanzo at 212.408.0400 ext.5.
- Once you are logged in, click the “Apply” link on the top menu bar. You can start the Intent to Apply form by clicking the link to your desired grant cycle for Current Grantees. Please note that you will not be able to access the Intent to Apply form until it is posted online (all dates are listed on our Dates and Deadlines page).
- After you fill out and submit your Intent to Apply, you will receive an immediate email confirmation. If you do not receive this confirmation, please contact Kimberleigh Costanzo at 212.408.0400 ext. 5.
- Your Intent to Apply will help us determine if your organization or project continues to align with our priorities. If your request appears to fall within our guidelines and priorities, we will send you further instructions on how to complete a full application. If your request does not fit within our priorities or is not competitive, we will notify you by the decision dates listed on our Dates and Deadlines page.
- E-mail notifications regarding your LOI, ITA, and Application status will be sent to your organization’s self-selected Grant Contact from email@example.com. White-listing this e-mail address will ensure that application-related communications do not get misdirected to your spam/junk box.
- Your work will save automatically as you go. You can also click “Save” at the bottom of each screen. You are welcome to save your LOI, ITA, or Application at any point and continue working on it at a later time. Just click HERE to log back on.
- You may cut and paste text from other documents into any text fields on your LOI, ITA, or Application. Please note, however, that formatting will be lost (text effects, spacing, etc.).
- An asterisk (*) means that a field is required.
- If a question does not apply to your organization, you can type “N/A”.
- Please visit our FAQs and Application Preview pages for further information.
If you need assistance, don’t hesitate to reach out. You can email questions to Kimberleigh Costanzo or call her at 212.408.0400 ext.5.